* MEDIUM + LARGE Lined pages *
Johann Arndt was a German theologian who is now recognized as a forerunner of “pietism,” a popular 17th-century Lutheran movement. This intricate, ornamental binding was originally designed to house the 1697 edition of Arndt’s best-known work, Paradiesgärtlein.
While the Paperblanks library of cover designs draws from diverse sources of visual art, antique book bindings in particular have long provided us with an abundance of inspiration. Many such book covers were originally made of leather but in the case of our Silver Filigree Collection, the focus is instead on the splendour of bindings decorated with filigree metalwork.
This manner of adorning books was particularly favoured in the 17th and 18th centuries, with nearly all bindings of this type manufactured in Holland, Switzerland, Germany and the Scandinavian countries. Over the years, craftsmen experimented with different methods of coaxing metal into ornaments of tender and elegant beauty.
This design represents one such book cover that was reproduced for our Silver Filigree Collection. It was originally created by die cutting a thin metal plate to form a latticed ornament with an added embellishment of fine etchings. This binding, which encased a collection of prayers titled Paradiesgärtlein, dates to 1697 and originates from Strasbourg, at the time a part of the Kingdom of France. For our Blush Pink design, we replaced the original’s neutral background with this eye-catching pink.
- Custom-designed laid paper
- 100% recycled binder boards
- FSC-certified text paper
- Threaded stitching and glue, as needed
- Acid-free sustainable forest paper
- Decorative printed cover paper
SILVER FILIGREE - BLUSH PINK
At Paperblanks, we create products that inspire creativity, empower expression and celebrate special
moments. A homage to art and culture, our line of journals and creative tools sparks the imagination by
offering a connection to artists and cultural movements from all eras and regions.
• Wide range of timeless cover art
• World cultures and traditions represented
• Historical background and credit information detailed in each
• Wrap, elastic and clasp closures offered
• Selected to complement each cover design
• All books are Smyth sewn – the highest-quality binding available
• Smyth sewn refers to a classic style of bookmaking in which the
signatures are sewn together and further reinforced with adhesive
and fabric backing.
• Paper weights (gsm) vary depending on book format and can be
found on every product page
• All text paper is FSC-certified
• Binder boards crafted from 100% recycled material
• Hardcover journals have an accordion-style memento pouch
• Flexi notebooks come with a curved back cover pocket